Experience The Joy Of The Ride Today
Did you know that over 4 million Australians will ride their bikes this year and that over the past 10 years cycling participation has increased by over 45%?
To put it simply, there has never been a better time to be involved in cycling! As a physical activity it’s in perfect sync with modern life. It’s also relatively cheap to get started and can be undertaken spontaneously with little very planning.
Riding a bicycle can be a social activity enjoyed with family and friends, and a way to maintain fitness whilst spending time in the great outdoors.
Whether you’re an absolute beginner, someone looking to get back into riding after a break, an athlete looking for some racing or coaching, or a volunteer looking to get involved, there are countless opportunities to get in on the action. From our popular Austcycle programs right through to our talent identification initiatives, MCC caters for all levels and provides safe, structured environments to learn and improve recreational riding and racing skills.
Interesting Facts About Cycling
- 1.15 million bicycles were sold in Australia in 2012, making it the 12th consecutive year that bikes have outsold cars.
- 50% of Australian households possess at least one bicycle.
Nine out of ten parents agree that cycling is a good way for children to keep fit.
- 39% of Australians ride a bike at least once a year. The majority of cycling enthusiasts who ride bikes are ”passionate followers” with 69% saying that cycling plays a very important part in their lives.
- 10K Australians are employed in Australia’s cycling industry, with over $1 billion worth of bikes and accessories sold in Australia each year.
- The benefits to health and reduction in congestion on the roads are of significant value to the community and environment.
2017 MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES
Whether you want to race, ride or just be a part of the action, we invite you to join the Cycling Australia team.
To become a member of Cycling Australia:
- Browse through our our membership categories below to find the best one for you
- Find a club (MCC is listed under the Queensland clubs)
- Follow the links to join
* If you’re already a member please recheck your category before you renew online.
Cycling Australia offers the following membership categories to suit serious racers, recreational riders, officials, volunteers and those who just want to support the sport of cycling:
1. Recreational Memberships
A Recreational licence is a great way to get started in the sport of cycling. It allows you to participate in:
- recreational rides
- charity and fun rides
- club training
- coffee crew rides
- Gran Fondos & Cyclo Sportif events, and
- club run skills development programs
With a recreational membership, you can enjoy a range of cycling activities and improve your skills and fitness. It’s the perfect membership if you ride your bike for recreation but is also a good launch pad if you want to progress to racing in the future.
Recreational memberships are available on a quarterly basis with four renewal dates each year (31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December). Membership’s expiry is based on the time of joining and whether that is before or after the 15th day of the middle month between quarterly expiries.
There are four categories of recreational membership:
- Adult – For ages 19 to 64 for the period of membership
- Junior – For ages 13 – 18 for the period of membership
- Seniors – For ages 65 and over for the period of membership
- KIDZ – For children aged 12 and under (primary school age), this licence is an inexpensive introduction to the club environment with the focus on developing skills through modified cycling activities and trying out the sport.
2. Racing Memberships
The Gold Race Licence holder can participate in races conducted by Cycling Australia and its affiliated states and clubs (event entry fees may be payable).
Gold race licences are age-restricted from under 9 to Masters 65+. Check the 2017 age category table to confirm which licence is right for you.
These licences are renewable annually and cover the calendar year (1 January to 31 December) in line with the International Cycling Union’s (UCI) requirements. However, licences purchased after 1 October are valid until 31 December of the following year.
3. Family Membership
Family membership is available for families to either race or for Recreation. A family is determined by:
- 2 adults (elite/masters) & 2 juniors (junior under-19 and below), or
- 1 adult (elite/masters) & 3 juniors (junior under-19 and below).
Members must have the same address and fall into the same category (i.e. 4 x race or 4 x recreation). Applications for family membership can only be made at the club.
4. Non-Riding Memberships
The non-Riding membership is recognises the contribution of coaches, officials and administrators who work in the sport. It provides membership for a minimal charge and includes professional indemnity insurance cover plus a host of other benefits.
This membership is renewable annually and covers the calendar year. However, licences purchased after 1 October are valid until 31 December of the following year.
Please note: Members seeking personal accident insurance cover whilst on the bike (other than during their coaching and officiating activities) should purchase a recreational membership.